OCP threatens to do the same to decades-old hardware companies like Cisco.
Since it launched in 2011, OCP has:
- Saved Facebook $2 billion.
- Cut Fidelity Investments’ data center electric bill by 20%.
- Nabbed Microsoft as a board member, meaning Microsoft is using OCP hardware in its huge data centers and contributing back to the designs.
- Ditto for Apple.
- Created better careers for hardware designers, who can now collaborate instead of being forbidden to share trade secrets.
- Launched an ecosystem of products and startups.
- Created a more than $1 billion business for at least one Chinese manufacturer.
- Put networking giant Cisco on notice.
- Convinced HP to stop fighting the movement and join it.