“It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they’ve been fooled.”?—?Unknown.
But here’s the unfortunate truth?—?several billion people have a slot machine their pocket:
- When we pull our phone out of our pocket, we’re playing a slot machine to see what notifications we got.
- When we pull to refresh our email, we’re playing a slot machine to see what new email we got.
- When we swipe down our finger to scroll the Instagram feed, we’re playing a slot machine to see what photo comes next.
- When we swipe faces left/right on dating apps like Tinder, we’re playing a slot machine to see if we got a match.
- When we tap the # of red notifications, we’re playing a slot machine to what’s underneath.
Apps and websites sprinkle intermittent variable rewards all over their products because it’s good for business.
Archive for November 2018
Hickam’s dictum is a counterargument to the use of Occam’s razor in the medical profession. While Occam’s razor suggests that the simplest explanation is the most likely, implying in medicine that diagnostician should assume a single cause for multiple symptoms, one form of Hickam’s dictum states: “A man can have as many diseases as he damn well pleases.”
In the context of this method, the principle of Hickam’s dictum asserts that at no stage should a particular diagnosis be excluded solely because it does not appear to fit the principle of Occam’s razor.
A key reason for using Hickam’s dictum as a limiting principle to that of Occam’s razor is that it is often statistically more likely that a patient has several common diseases rather than having a single, rarer disease that explains their myriad symptoms.
Source: Hickam’s dictum – Wikipedia
This applies quite often to many things beyond the medical profession troubleshooting bugs and the “why we lost” political solutions come to mind right away.
Compress and compare images with different codecs, right in your browser
Up focuses on deploying “vanilla” HTTP servers so there’s nothing new to learn, just develop with your favorite existing frameworks such as Express, Koa, Django, Golang net/http or others.
Up currently supports Node.js, Golang, Python, Java, Crystal, Clojure and static sites out of the box. Up is platform-agnostic, supporting AWS Lambda and API Gateway as the first targets. You can think of Up as self-hosted Heroku style user experience for a fraction of the price, with the security, isolation, flexibility, and scalability of AWS.